WELCOME TO THE Y!
You are not just a member of a gym when you join the Y, you’re part of something much bigger. Globally, the Y is committed to strengthening communities through youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility. In Atlanta, the Y has been serving the needs of the community since 1858, continually adapting to help individuals, families and communities build strong spirit, mind and body. As a member of the Y, you are a part of a community of men, women, and children who strive each day to be healthy, confident and connected.
You Belong Here.
Find all the information you need below in our Y Member Handbook.
Your Y, reflecting its Judeo-Christian heritage, is an association of volunteers, members, and staff, open to and serving all, providing programs and services which develop spirit, mind, and body. The Y actively seeks to identify, involve and support those in need.
We believe all people, especially children, deserve an equal chance to reach their full potential - AND - should prepare themselves to connect to and serve community.
Our core values guide us in all we do: Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility
We believe that finances should never be a barrier to becoming involved with the Y. That’s why we created the WHY IT MATTERS Annual Giving Campaign. All annual campaign funds remain in our local community, providing financial assistance to give children and families an opportunity to get involved in the life- changing programs of the Y. To help support your neighbors, please visit ymcaatlanta.org/give to make a donation.
Volunteers are the key to our remarkable past, the strength of our present, and the promise of our future. Y volunteers assist with programs, formulate guidelines, develop new program initiatives, and evaluate existing services. Opportunities to volunteer include:
- Coaching or refereeing a youth sports team
- Reading to children in Y Early Learning and Afterschool programs.
- Volunteering within the branch
- Becoming an active campaigner for the WHY IT MATTERS Annual Giving Campaign.
- Serving as a board member at the branch or association level.
If you are willing to share your time, skills, and talents with others, the Y is the perfect place for you! For more information about volunteering, visit ymcaatlanta.org/volunteer.
When you join the Y, you become a part of a community that transforms lives. As a member of the YMCA of Metro Atlanta, you have full use of our 19 membership facility locations. This also includes access to all of our outdoor pools and climbing walls.
Our Coach Approach exercise support program is designed to teach new and returning exercisers how to start and stick with an exercise routine. You will be paired with a Y wellness coach who will support you as you work through your exercise-related wellness challenges.
Group exercise classes offer opportunities for you to find something that’s right for you. And with 3,000+ classes, we have something for everyone! Check our website for schedules and classes at ymcaatlanta.org/schedules.
YMCA360 allows you to access the Y anytime, anywhere online. Y members can stream live classes, learn to cook a healthy recipe, or work out with your favorite instructors on demand. You’ll find great classes from Ys across the country as well as other great content focusing on holistic health in spirit, mind and body.
Access to our Y member app on your mobile device allows you to easily scan in to our facilities, find schedules, programs and classes, and stay in the know on important member alerts.
Child care is available for facility members at the Family Membership level while you utilize the facility. The Play Center is designed to serve children from three months through 12 years of age. There is a time limit of two hours per day and 10 hours total per week.
Nationwide Membership allows you to visit any participating Y in the United States and Puerto Rico through your home Y membership at no additional cost. Please check with the Y you plan to visit for availability and guidelines, as some Ys may not be part of the Nationwide program. Please note: all Ys within Georgia will honor your membership.
Reduced pricing on Y programs, including camps, sports, and more
Access to Parents Night Out and Parents Morning Out programs
Members-only access to certain programs and amenities, including outdoor pools and swim lessons
Free WIFI at YMCA full membership facilities
No contracts of any length
Chronic disease prevention programs
Volunteer and service opportunities that allow Y members to connect to and support your community
Discounted tickets and offers for Atlanta Sports Partners including Atlanta United, Atlanta Hawks, Atlanta Falcons and more
Members-Only offers from Y partner organizations and businesses
Our goal is to exceed your expectations and provide opportunities for continuous evaluation of our performance. The success of the Y depends on your feedback. Please look for emails from Listen 360, fill out branch comment cards, or speak directly to any staff member about any situations that you feel compromise the quality of your member experience.
Feel free to us the navigation menu above to explore ALL Y programs and benefits!
The best way to stay on top of your Y membership is with our mobile app for Y members. The app allows you to check-in at the Y, view schedules, sign up for classes, track your fitness goals, participate in wellness challenges and more. Our app will also allow you to link your fitness tracking devices and fitness apps!
The easiest and quickest way to check-in when you visit the Y is by using our mobile app to scan in when you enter the facility, which is required each visit. This helps to ensure the safety of both our members and staff. Physical membership cards are also available for members without smartphones.
Everyone is welcome at the Y! If you’re already a member, you may invite up to 2 friends or family members a day, with one free visit per guest per calendar year.
If you’re not a member or your friend or family member would like to visit again, day passes are available for purchase. Please visit ymcaatlanta.org/day-pass, to purchase a pass. We look forward to seeing you at the Y! Please note: Outdoor pools and pick-up basketball are exclusive for members only and excluded from day pass use.
The YMCA of Metro Atlanta, consisting of 19 membership branches, 13 early learning centers and 2 overnight camps, closes four days out of every year. Recognizing and celebrating the ten established federal holidays (New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, President’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veteran’s Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day). In Atlanta, the Y closes on Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Easter Sunday, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day to allow staff the benefit of spending time with their families. With the exception of these four days, the YMCA is open every day including all other federal holidays as a commitment to and for the enjoyment of our members. Hours may be adjusted for some holidays and members will be notified via our Y member mobile app in those cases.
Persons under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or stimulants are not allowed in our facilities. Smoking, alcoholic beverages, e-cigarettes and vaping are not permitted inside or on the premises of any YMCA facility due to our emphasis on maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
The Y expects members and guests to behave in a caring, honest, respectful, and responsible manner. Behavior such as the use of foul language, dangerous play, fighting, bullying or intimidation, promiscuous activity, or any act inconsistent with a family atmosphere will not be permitted and may result in termination of your membership. Solicitations of any kind are prohibited. Members will be held responsible for the conduct of their guests.
For the protection of each member’s privacy and safety, cell phones and/or cameras may not be used in any locker room, changing area, group exercise/water exercise or wellness area. Common social areas such as hallways and lounges may be used for conversation. Please also use headphones when listening to music or other audio on your mobile device.
All YMCA of Metro Atlanta facilities are weapon-free zones.
Y members may choose from the following payment options for your membership fees:
Major Credit Cards
Bank draft (Automated monthly drafts can be established from checking, savings, money market, credit cards, or credit union accounts)
Check (annual or semiannual membership only)
We believe that finances should never be a barrier to becoming involved at the Y. If you feel that there are events in your household like a job loss, medical bills, a child moving back home, or a divorce that has reduced your “get-healthy-budget”, let us know. You won’t know what’s possible unless we talk.
Please visit ymcaatlanta.org/financial-assistance to learn more or contact us at (404) 267-5353.
For your convenience, Y members can access their account information anytime by going to ymcaatlanta. org and selecting “My Account” in the upper right hand corner of the page (on mobile, select the menu icon and scroll to “My Account”). From there, members can change account information, print tax statements, and pay invoices.
The Y believes that members are co-owners of the organization. As co-owners, each member is asked to pay a one-time joining fee as an investment in our mission. These funds are primarily used for non-expansion capital improvements like new equipment, building repairs, and maintenance. If you opt to cancel, then rejoin later a rejoining fee will be charged.
Adding or removing members from an existing Y membership is considered a change in membership.
Continuous Payment: When adding family members, additional dues are required to cover the period until the monthly payment is processed at the new rate. The difference in the joining fee must be paid upfront. Membership privileges for canceled members will remain until the next payment is processed.
Annual Payment: To add members to a membership that is paid annually, you will be required to pay the full difference between the joining fee and the pro-rated increase, based on the existing membership renewal date.
At the Y, there are no membership contracts required. However, if at any time you wish to cancel your Y membership, you must provide written notice 30 days prior to your bill date either by filling out a form at your branch or reaching out to email@example.com (Please note: If you opt to email, please include the reason for your cancellation and allow 2-3 business days for a response.) Members are responsible for checking any and all bank documents to ensure membership related automatic debits/bank drafts have been stopped after your membership ends. The Y is not responsible for automatic debits or bank drafts that occur after the cancellation is processed. If you need to make updates to your payment method, please do so online or at the branch within five (5) business days before the next scheduled automatic debit/bank draft. Payment processing failures may result in cancellation of membership.
Program members pay a yearly registration fee in order to access Y programs, plus the program rate per Y program. Program membership does not include access to group exercise classes, wellness areas, swimming pools, or use of the gymnasium. Please note - some programs, including swim lessons, are limited to facility memberships only.
The YMCA of Metro Atlanta is not responsible for lost or stolen property. However, we do keep lost and found items whenever possible. Typically, items not claimed after one week are donated to those in need. Please ask the front desk staff about any lost items.
Lockers are available for daily use during your visit to the Y. We ask that members remove locks and all personal items when they leave the facility. We strongly advise the use of locks to protect your personal items as the Y cannot be held responsible or liable for articles which are damaged, lost, or stolen.
The Y provides opportunities for people with physical and development disabilities to participate in programs. Contact Member Services about accommodations needed for participation.
The Y welcomes service animals, however, the service dog/animal must be harnessed, leashed, or tethered while with the member unless these devices interfere with the service animal’s work or the person’s disability prevents use of these devices. The member must maintain control of the animal at all times. Service animals are allowed on the pool deck, however, the member must have someone maintain control of the animal if they choose to get into the pool. Service animals are not allowed in the pool, steam room, sauna, or whirlpool. Comfort animals are not allowed.
• Advance Reservations are required for classes.
• Members who are 13 years of age and older may participate in group exercise.
• Members who are 9-12 years of age may take classes if accompanied by an adult (except strength-based classes and group cycle classes). Members who are 8 years old and under may participate in age-appropriate youth classes.
• Strollers, infant carriers or snuggle/sling-wrap baby carriers are not allowed in group exercise classes.
• While attending class with a caregiver, the caregiver must be within arm’s reach of the member at all times.
• Please respect all members by refraining from conversations on your cell phone while in classes.
• Please avoid private conversations or audible talking during class.
• Please avoid “saving” equipment or space for later-arriving members.
• Please avoid dropping free weights while in class.
• Please avoid wearing headphones or listening to your own music
while participating in class.
• The sound volume level has been set to be within safe decibel range
for classes. It will not be turned up to exceed the recommended safe decibel level.
• Wipe down and put away all equipment after use.
• Group exercise rooms are only available for use with staff present.
• If you are new to class, please let the instructor know so they can help you set up your equipment.
• Wipe down equipment after use.
• We are a family-friendly facility. Please dress in appropriate athletic attire. Workout appropriate, closed-toe/ closed-back shoes are required (no barefoot-type running shoes). Hard-soled shoes, heels, sandals or flip flops are not allowed.
• Please limit cardiovascular equipment workouts to 30 minutes when others are waiting.
• Please limit the length of time you utilize weight equipment to allow other members to workout. If you are going for multiple sets, be kind and let others have a turn between your sets.
• Return all weight plates, equipment and dumbbells following use.
• Please refrain from talking on your mobile phone in the wellness center.
• Members must wear headphones while listening to music.
• Wellness coaches are available to assist you. If you are unfamiliar with the equipment, please schedule an orientation appointment at the Member Service Desk.
• Food, drinks, gum, candy, or glass containers are not permitted. Water must be in capped, plastic or metal containers.
• No weight belts on padded equipment.
• No strollers, infant carriers or snuggle/sling-wrap baby carriers in the wellness center or studios.
• Collars are required, and the use of spotters is highly recommended.
• Please don’t drop weights.
• Photos and video may be taken only with advance permission by the program director.
• Only personal trainers employed by the YMCA are allowed to conduct training sessions.
• Ages 9-12 may utilize the Wellness Center cardio or selectorized strength equipment with a parent or guardian in arms reach.
• Ages 13+ may utilize the Wellness Center cardio or selectorized strength equipment independently after a wellness orientation has been completed.
• Ages 13-15 may utilize the free weight area with a parent or guardian in arms reach.
• Ages 13+ may utilize the free weight area for when working with a YMCA Personal Trainer.
• Ages 16 and above may utilize all areas independently.
For Your Safety:
• Slow on the inside, fast on the outside.
• Please be courteous to others and walk no more than 2 abreast at peak times.
• Please keep moving. Do not stand on track.
• Shirt and shoes must be worn at all times.
• Baby strollers are not permitted.
• Children ages 12 and under must be accompanied by an adult.
• No phone conversations permitted on track.
• Store your belongings in the locker room
> Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday
< Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday
- Please be mindful of all swim safety and pool capacity protocols.
- Some Y pools are reservation only. Lane reservations must be made up to 24 hours in advance. Visit ymcaatlanta.org/schedules to reserve your swim lane.
- Shower before entering the pool.
- Wear family-appropriate and clean swim attire only.
- No breath-holding or prolonged underwater swimming.
- No running (deck, dressing areas, showers, hallways)
- No food, drinks, gum, or open containers.
- No glass, sharp objects, or hazardous materials.
- No diving, flips, rough play, or pushing.
- No spitting, spouting, blowing nose, or any bodily excretion allowed.
- Swimmers with open wounds, skin conditions, diarrhea, or communicable conditions are not allowed.
- No animals, other than service animals, allowed.
- Pool will close for 30 minutes each time lightning or thunder occurs.
- Swimming is not permitted without a lifeguard present.
- Follow all posted pool signage and the directions of the lifeguard and/or aquatics staff member.
- Children 2 & under, or not potty-trained, must wear swim diapers and plastic pants to swim.
- All children 12 & under must take a swim test. The swim test entails jumping in the water, swimming one length of the pool (no doggie-paddling), treading water for one minute, and floating briefly on your back. Swim tests are valid only at the branch where the test was performed.
- Children ages 10 & under who have passed the swim test can swim in the pool with a parent providing supervision in the pool area. Children of this age who cannot pass the swim test must have a parent in the pool within arm’s reach of the child. There should be no more than two children per parent in the pool.
- Children ages 11 & 12 who have passed the swim test can swim in the pool without a parent’s supervision. However, the parent must remain in the Y facility. Children of this age who cannot pass the swim test must have a parent remain in the pool area and the child must stay in the shallow end of the pool. At outdoor pools, parents must stay on the pool deck.
- In addition to the general aquatics center rules, you must be 18 years or older.
- Elderly persons, pregnant women, and persons with any health condition are not allowed in whirlpools and saunas without written permission from their medical doctor.
- Do not stay in the whirlpool or sauna longer than 15 minutes without cooling down.
- Enter and exit with caution.
- Do not enter whirlpool if water temperature exceeds 102 degrees F.
- Please adhere to capacity guidelines.
- No oils, glass, sharp objects or hazardous materials.
- No videos may be in taken anywhere within the YMCA building without advance permission from a YMCA director.
- We are a family- friendly organization. Please keep this in mind and conduct yourself in a manner that is appropriate for members and guests of all ages.
QUICK LINKS FOR MEMBERS
Account Login: ymcaatlanta.org/account-login
Locations list and map: ymcaatlanta.org/locations
Group Exercise, gym and pool schedules & reservations: ymcaatlanta.org/schedules
Wellness Coaching: ymcaatlanta.org/personal-coaching
Find programs & activities to get involved at the Y: ymcaatlanta.org/activity-finder
Give to the Y: ymcaatlanta.org/give
Volunteer with the Y: ymcaatlanta.org/volunteer
Member Support Center: ymcaatlanta.org/contact-us
STAY CONNECTED WITH THE Y