Lifeguard certification and Aquatic Safety programs are available at the YMCA of Metro Atlanta. These courses provide the necessary skills for those who work at the Y and others who want to become certified.
- The YMCA offers a full lifeguard training course that includes ASHI, BLS, First Aid and oxygen equipment-based rescues for aquatic environments, accident prevention and decision-making skills.
- Participants must be 16 years old by the end of the class. Online prework, attendance, full participation, successful completion of written tests and performance of all water skills are required.
- If you’re interested in working as a lifeguard for the YMCA, training may be available at no cost to you. Contact our branch aquatics directors for additional information.
Detailed Description of Training Programs
- Tread water for at least 2 minutes.
- Swim 100 yards of front crawl
- Swim 50 yards each of front craw with head up, sidestroke, breaststroke, breaststroke with head up, inverted breaststroke kick with hands on stomach
- Perform a feet-first surface dive in 8 to 10 feet of water and then swim underwater for 15 feet
- Perform a series of tasks given by the instructor to demonstrate listening and scanning ability as well as stamina and endurance
*All trainings will include required e-learnings. These will be distributed a week before the in-person sessions and need to be completed before those begin.
- YMCA Lifeguard V6 Certification
- ASHI CPR Pro for the Professional Rescuer (CPR Pro), includes adults, children, and infants
- ASHI Basic First Aid
- ASHI Emergency Oxygen Administration
- ASHI Automated External Defibrillation (AED)